Ever since its inception in 1963, SJCE has been in a continuous pursuit of excellence in imparting technical education. Identifying the parameters of input, processing and out put, this institute has left no stone unturned in achieving its goal. As a part of the institutes expansion program the department of Biotechnology was instituted in the year 2002.
The Department of Biotechnology at SJCE provides a full education within the integrated fields of Biotechnology. Our courses span from introductory classes on bachelor level to advanced courses on master level and doctoral programs .An important part of the education is the Master Project which is part of the official research with one of our research groups.
As a student you will typically follow the designed curriculum of study. It is also possible to take up inter Departmental courses. On these pages you can find an overview of all Courses offered by the Department of Biotechnology. B.E, M.Tech, PhD
If you need help planning your studies you are always welcome to contact our Staff advisors.
The department is proud of technical and innovative excellence of its faculty. The department also boasts of modern and fully equipped laboratories and state of art infrastructure. The syllabus which has been designed by renowned academicians with input from industrial personnel is in tune with the latest developments in the biotech arena and has been chalked out keeping in mind the career prospects for students. The students are thus equipped with an in depth understanding of the field with an updated perspective of most recent developments around the world, thereby making them technically superior and cut above other graduates.
The department has a strong team of faculty drawn from both biological science and engineering background. This enables in imparting to students an amalgamated knowledge of science and Engineering.
To empower faculty and students achieve professional excellence in academics and research to solve global problems for the betterment of Human welfare
- To nurture students to be competent and committed Biotech Engineers dedicated to the service of the nation.
- To create an ambience where student and teaching fraternity generate newer ideas, innovative knowledge and engage themselves in cutting edge research equipping them as leaders and innovators of competitive tomorrow.
- To provide students with skills and exploratory experience through a dynamic curriculum that enable them to reach their fullest potential to be enterprising and employable
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1- Function as competent biotech engineers and educators in a broad array of engineering disciplines.
- PEO 2- Exhibit industry readiness and to pursue higher studies and research in a competitive global environment.
- PEO 3- Demonstrate professional and entrepreneurial skills, ethical attitude, excellent communication skills and openness to continuous learning as an effective team member.
Programme Specific Outcome (PSOs)
- PSO 1– To generate employable Biotech engineers.
- PSO 2– To enhance sponsored research through excellence in scientific and technical education consultancy services in socially relevant areas and solve problems of national concern.
- PSO 3– To inculcate a spirit of entrepreneurship with intellectual capability to be a leader of global credibility.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs) Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics, responsibilities, and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
B.E. (Biotechnology): 4 years duration
M.Tech. (Biotechnology): 2 Years duration
M.Sc. (Engineering) by research.
Know your Faculty
|1||Dr. HARAPRASAD N||Professor & Deputy Registrar, JSS STU|
|2||Dr. NAGENDRA PRASAD M N||Associate Professor & Head|
|3||Dr. SANJAY K R||Associate Professor|
|4||Dr. NANJUNDASWAMY S||Associate Professor|
|5||Dr. HEMA B P||Assistant Professor|
|6||LAKSHMI S||Assistant Professor|
|7||Dr. Pallavi Vasthrad||V Professor|
Curriculum & Timetable
• Department has obtained huge grants from National agencies like DST, SERB, UGC, VGST, AICTE ( Details as above ) which has been utilized in upgrading advance research facilities.
• Department has established MOU with USDA, USA and National University of Singapore, Singapore.
• Department has developed first nested PCR for early detection of destructive die-back disease of Neem trees and their molecular characterization which is now a national concern.
• Department has initiated and successfully completed first leg of the project on developing a process for bio diesel production from Diatoms
• Department has worked extensively on cancer research which is reflected by an ongoing International joint research project with Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
• Department has ongoing research and development in the area of Life style diseases Viz., Diabetes, Nephrolithiasis and gastroenteritis.
• Department of Biotechnology have successfully hosted two Project Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting in the field of Life Sciences and Chemistry sponsored by DST SERB, Gov. of India.
Distinguished Alumni of Department of Biotechnology
- Mr. Yashas R, works at Elly Lilly, USA
- Ms. SampreethaHebli, Sr. Project Data Manager at Chiltern clinical research, India
- Ms. RemyaThilakan, senior scientist at Nova-Nortis, Bengaluru
- Mr. Harshavardhan J B works at GE, Bengaluru
- Mr. Raghavendra H, Senior software consultant at Samsung Electronics
- Dr. Nagarjun V, Faculty at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Bhopal, M.P.
- Mr. Amit Bhaneprabhu, Senior Consultant at Murex, Singapore
- Mr. Vikram B, Captain at Indian army, Government of India
- Mr. Sagar K Bhat, Research Head at Kaypeeyes Biotech, Mysuru
- Ms. Vinutha N works at Genome institute, Singapore
- Ms. Razmi Raj model and TV artist of South India
- Mr. Abhishek M.S. Senior scientist at Biocon Research center
- Mr. Hemanth PandithCaptain at Indian Army, Government of India
- Ms. Reshma Hegde, works at Mount Sinai Health system, NY, USA
- Mr. Harshal S, Chief operating Officer at Vittal Bioscientific solutions
- Lt. Amshumantha S K. Lieutent atIndian Navy,Government of India
- Mr. Shashank S, program producer at Colours Super channel
- Ms. Deepika Prasad works at Roche, Biggleswade,UK
- Ms. Vismaya M. N. entrepreneur of startup -Maum Maya
- Ms. Deepthi Rao, Researcher at Stanford University
- Mr. Amit Sinha, Entrepreneur at Patna, Bihar
- Ms. Nandini Ravindran, works at Ideaya Biosciences, USA
- Ms. Chithra S Entrepreneur at Mysuru
- Mr. Pramod Nandan, Product manager at NRR &Sons,Mysuru
Rank Holders in Bachelor of Engineering
|1||Ms. Yashaswi B.R.||2007-2011|
|2||Ms. Shivashree P||2008-2012|
|3||Ms. Pranitha V. Patil||2009-2013|
|4||Ms. Sushmitha Shankar||2010-2014|
|5||Ms. Poojitha Bhat||2011-2015|
|7||Ms. Keerthana S R||2013-2017|
|8||Ms. Deeksha M G||2014-2018|
Rank Holders in Master of Technology
|1||Mr. Prabhanjan Gai||2011-13|
|3||Ms. Rashmi V||2013-15|
|4||Mr. Sanketh Patil||2014-16|
|5||Ms. Subbalakshmi R||2015-17|
Dr. M. N. Nagendra Prasad
Associate Professor & Head
Department of Biotechnology
Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering
JSS TI Campus, Mysuru – 570 006
Mobile : +91-9886480528