The Department of Civil Engineering was established during 1963. It possesses state of the art facilities to cates to the needs of undergraduate students, post graduate students and research scholars. The department has distinguished faculty with specialization in almost all major areas of civil engineering. It is active in offering continuing education programmes to the professionals from industry and academia. The department provides testing and consultancy services to various government departments and to the construction industries in and around Mysuru. The faculty members have excellent relationship with IISc, IITs, NITS and other reputed universities in the country. Faculty members of the department are acting as paper referees of national and international journals. The department is proud to have distinguished alumni doing excellent professional work at the global level.
- Basic Materials Testing Laboratory
- Concrete Laboratory
- Highway Materials Testing Laboratory
- Survey Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Research Laboratory
- Earthquake Engineering Laboratory
- Structures Laboratory
- Computer Centre
- Geology Museum
- Seminar Hall (A/C)
- PG Lecture Hall
- Models’ Section
- Department Library
To produce engineers having professional and leadership qualities with capacity to take up research and professional assignments in Civil Engineering and allied fields with focus on inter-disciplinary and innovative approach and to compete in civil engineering profession at the global level.
- To impart quality and real time education to contribute to the field of Civil Engineering.
- To impart soft skills, leadership qualities and professional ethics among the graduates to handle projects independently.
- To develop graduates to compete at the global level.
- To deal with the contemporary issues and to cater to the societal needs.
rogram Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1: To impart quality education and knowledge in contemporary science and technology to meet the challenges in the field of Civil Engineering and to serve the society.
- PEO2: To impart the knowledge of analysis and design using the codes of practice and software packages.
- PEO3: To inculcate the sense of ethics, morality, creativity, leadership, professionalism, self confidence and independent thinking.
- PEO4: To motivate the students to take up higher studies and innovative research projects.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
- PSO1: The student has the ability to apply the knowledge of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Programming Skills and Soft Skills to solve Civil Engineering problems.
- PSO2: The student has the proficiency in streams of Civil Engineering to visualise and execute the systems for sustainable living.
- PSO3: The student has the practical knowledge and experimental skills to tackle Civil Engineering problems using technical and management skills, exhibiting professional ethics to meet the societal needs.
- PSO4: The programme enables the faculty to develop academic proficiency by involving in research & innovation, interaction with industry and professional bodies through technical advice and Continuing Education Programs (CEP) to meet the needs of the user system.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs) Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- P01: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems – (Engineering knowledge)
- P02: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences – (Problem analysis)
- P03: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations –(Design/development of solutions)
- P04: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions –(Conduct investigations of complex problems)
- P05: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations – (Modern tool usage)
- P06: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice – (The engineer and society)
- P07: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development –(Environment and sustainability)
- P08: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice – (Ethics)
- P09: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings – (Individual and teamwork)
- P10: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions –(Communication)
- P11: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments -(Project management and finance)
- P12: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change – (Life-long learning)
|Sl. No.||Category||Designation||Name of the Person|
|1||Head of the Dept.||Chairperson||Dr. K. Prakash|
|2||All Professors of the Department||Members||1||Dr. C. Nataraju|
|2||Dr. M.C. Nataraja|
|3||Dr. S.K. Prasad|
|4||Dr. S. Raviraj|
|5||Dr. G.P. Chandradhara|
|6||Dr. K.S. Manjunath|
|7||Dr. P. NanjundaSwamy|
|3||Two Senior Associate Professors of the concerned Department by rotation||Members||1||Prof. R. Satish|
|2||Prof. V. Madhava Rao|
|4||One Senior Assistant Professor of the concerned Department by rotation||Member||1||Dr. M.P. Pradeep|
|5||One External Subject Expert from any reputed Academic / Research Institution / Other Universities nominated by the Academic Council||Member||1||Dr. M.K. Nagaraj
Department of Applied Mechanics
Ph: 0824-2474000 Ext: 3312
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
|6||One External subject expert from any reputed Academic/Research Institutions/other Universities nominated by the Vice Chancellor upon recommendation by the Dean of respective faculty.||Member||1||Dr. G.L. Sivakumar Babu
Professor, Geotechnical Engineering Division, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru -560012, Karnataka, India.
Ph:+91 80 2293 3124 (Off), 23600671(Res)
|7||Two external members from concerned industry/ Government Departments/ Public Sector undertakings/ allied area relating to placement, nominated by the Academic Council upon recommendation by the Dean of respective faculty.||Members||1||Sri. Chandramouleeswar S.
Civil Engineering Practitioner,
Secretary, Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India) – Bangalore Centre Shree Maata, # 939, 28th Main Road, 9th Block, Jayanagar,
BENGALURU – 560 069.
+080 – 26538655
Mobile: +91 9449767454
|2||Sri. Niranjan Simha
Executive Vice President
Head Residential Buildings and Factories SBG
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Landmark “A” 5th Floor
Suren Road , Off Andheri Kurla Road, Chakala, Andheri East
Contact No.: 022 61238536
Mob. No.: 9664443939
e-mail is: firstname.lastname@example.org
|8||One postgraduate meritorious alumnus, to be nominated by the Head of the Department.
|Member||1||Dr. G. Ravi
Professor of Civil Engineering
National Institute of Engineering,
Mysore – 570 004.
Ph: (O) 0821-2485467
Cell: 94485 76430
|9||The Chairperson, Board of Studies, may with the approval of the Vice Chancellor, Co-opt as Members:
a) One external subject expert from reputed Academic/ Research Institution/Other Universities/Industry/ Government departments/ public sector undertakings, whenever special courses of studies are to be formulated.
b) Two other members of faculty of the concerned Department.
|Members||1||Dr. N.P. Rajamane
Head – Centre for Advanced Concrete Research (CACR)
Potheri (RS), Kattankulathur – 603203, Kancheepuram Dist., Tamil Nadu, India.
Ph: +91 44 27452270 Extn 1454,
Mobile: +91 9840076821,
|1||Prof. H.L. Girish Raje Urs|
|2||Smt. S. Roopanjali|
|Sl. No.||Name of the Member||Designation|
|1.||Dr. K. Prakash||Professor & Head – Dept. of Civil Engg., SJCE, Mysuru||Chairman|
|2.||Dr. C. Nataraju||Professor – Dept. of Civil Engg., SJCE, Mysuru||Internal Member|
|3.||Dr. S.K. Prasad||Professor – Dept. of Civil Engg., SJCE, Mysuru||Internal Member|
|4.||Sri. V. Madhava Rao||Associate Professor – Dept. of Civil Engg., SJCE, Mysuru||Internal Member|
|5.||Dr. G. Ravi||Professor – Dept. of Civil Engg., The National Institute of Engineering, Mysuru||External Member|
|6.||Dr. M.N. Shesha Prakash||Professor & Head – Dept. of Civil Engg., Vidya Vikas Institute of Engineering & Technology, Mysuru||External Member|
|7.||Sri. B.R. Badarinath||Managing Director
Subhadra Constructions, Mysuru
|8.||Sri. G.V. Surendra||Research Officer,(I/c) (Asst. Ex. Eng)
Hydraulics Branch II, Karnataka Engineering Reserch Station, K.R.S. Mandya
Academic Year: 2018-19
- K. Prakash
B.E. (Civil Engineering)
|Year||Class Staff Coordinators|
|I ‘H’ Sec.||Dr. K. Prakash|
|I ‘I’ Sec.||Sri. H.L. Girish Raje Urs|
|II ‘A’ Sec.||Dr. S. Raviraj|
|II ‘B’ Sec.||Dr. C. Nataraju|
|III ‘A’ Sec.||Dr. P. Nanjundaswamy|
|III ‘B’ Sec.||Dr. Satish R.|
|IV||Dr. M.C. Nataraja|
M.Tech. (Industrial Structures)
|Year||Class Staff Coordinator|
|I & II||Dr. S.K. Prasad – P.G. Coordinator|
|1.||Geotechnical Engineering||Dr. K. Prakash|
|2.||Structural Engineering||Dr. R. Satish|
|3.||Water Resources Engineering||Dr. C. Nataraju|
|4.||Surveying and Environmental Engineering||Prof. V. Madhava Rao|
|5.||Transportation Engineering||Dr. P. Nanjundaswamy|
|6.||Materials and Construction Technology||Prof. H.L. Girish Raje Urs|
- All faculty teaching the courses.
|Name of the Committee||Name of the Committee Member||Activity|
|1. Program Assessment Committee||· Program Coordinator: Dr. K. Prakash
· Module Coordinators
Dr. K. Prakash
Dr. R. Satish
Dr. C. Nataraju
Prof. V. Madhava Rao
Dr. P. Nanjundaswamy
Prof. H.L. Girish Raje Urs
|Monitoring of attainment of POs and PEOs; Motivating the faculty and students towards attending Workshops and Conferences; taking up Projects|
|2. Internal Quality Assurance Cell||· Program Coordinator: Dr. K. Prakash
· Class Staff Coordinators
I Year: Dr. K. Prakash &
Sri. H.L. Girish Raje Urs
II Year: Dr. S. Raviraj & Dr. C. Nataraju
III Year: Dr. P. Nanjundaswamy &
Dr. Satish R.
IV Year: Dr. M.C. Nataraja
· Class Student Coordinators*
I Year: Samrudh R (01JST18CV085)
II Year: Bhavana M R (01JST17CV019)
III Year: Keerthana H R (01JST16CV033)
IV Year: Lochana M (4JC15CV023)
|Assessing the attainments of COs and POs|
|3. Civil Engineering Association||· Prof. V. Madhava Rao||Coordinating the extracurricular activities of the students|
|· Sports sub-committee||· Dr. R. Satish||Coordinating the sports activities|
|· Cultural sub-committee||· Dr. K.S. Manjunath||Coordinating the cultural activities|
|· Literary sub-committee||· Smt. Roopanjali S.||Coordinating the literary activities|
|4. Technical Advisory Committee||· Dr. S.K. Prasad
· Dr. S. Raviraj
· Dr. G.P. Chandradhara
|· Organizing National Seminars, Departmental Lectures, Expert Lectures
· Coordinating the technical activities of the students
o Paper presentation
o Competitive Events
|5. Soft Skill Development Committee||· Dr. S.K. Prasad
· Dr. G.P. Chandradhara
|Coordinating and organizing soft skill development programs for the students|
|6. Department Magazine Committee||· Staff Editor: Dr. K. Prakash
· Student Editors:
Sreeparna K S (4JC15CV048)
Sanjay N C (4JC15CV043)
|Compilation of department activities (staff and students); collection and editing of technical / general articles from the staff and students; formatting and publishing.|
|7. Industrial Training and Placement Committee||· Dr. K.S. Manjunath
· Dr. M.P. Pradeep
· Prof. Roopanjali S.
|Coordinating and organizing the site visits and helping the students in internship and placement related activities|
|8. Project Committee||· Dr. K. Prakash||Coordinating minor and major projects of the students|
|9. Project Evaluation Committee||· Program Coordinator: Dr. K. Prakash
· Senior Faculty nominated by HOD:
· Project Guide
|Continuous Evaluation of the final year student projects|
|10. Seminar Evaluation Committee||· Two Senior Faculties nominated by HOD||Evaluation of technical seminars by the students|
|11. Alumni Committee||· Dr. S. Raviraj
· Prof. H.L. Girish Raje Urs
|Coordinating the alumni activities of the department|
|12. Consultancy Committee||· All the faculty of the department||Carrying out the consultancy works of the department|
|13. Mentoring Committee||· All faculty of the department||Mentoring the students and trying to resolve their issues|
|14. SJCE-Shilpi||· Staff Coordinator: Sri. H.M. Mahendra Kumar
· Student Coordinators:
Darshan C.R. (01JST17CV026)
Rachana V. (01JST17CV062)
Gowrava M. (01JST17CV033)
Thanushree A.N. (01JST17CV094)
Hithyshi A.S. (01JST16CV029)
Nagashree B. (01JST16CV051)
Revanth S.P. (01JST16CV079)
Parinita A (01JST16CV063)
Sreevar Ramesh (4JC15CV049)
Sumaiya C.H. (4JC15CV050)
Vanditha H.K. (4JC15CV059)
|Coordinating activities of Shilpi (Student Chapter of Builders’ Association of India – Mysuru Center) at SJCE.|
|15. Class Representatives||· Yogamshu Balaraj (01JST17CV104) – 2nd Year Civil- A Sec.
· Ajneesh Prathap (01JST17CV004) – 2nd Year Civil- B Sec.
· Manoj N 01JST16CV047) – 3rd Year Civil- A Sec.
· Deepak D.S. (01JST16CV016) – 3rd Year Civil- B Sec.
· Rahul Prabhakar Lokhande (4JC15CV036) – 4th Year Civil
|16. Placement Secretaries||· Sanjay N.C. (4JC15CV043) – 4th Year Civil
· Akshatha K.G. (4JC15CV004) – 4th Year Civil
* The class topper at the beginning of each academic year will be the class student coordinator.
B.E. in Civil Engineering
|M.Tech. in Industrial Structures
M.Tech. (Industrial Structures) – Part Time
|M.Sc. (Engineering) by research.
Know your Faculty
|1.||Dr. C. Nataraju||Ph.D.||Professor & Head|
|2.||Dr. M.C. Nataraja||Ph.D.||Professor|
|3.||Dr. Satish R.||Ph.D.||Associate Professor|
|4.||Dr. S. Raviraj||Ph.D.||Professor|
|5.||Dr. G.P. Chandradhara||Ph.D.||Professor|
|6.||Sri. V. Madhava Rao||M.E.||Associate Professor|
|7.||Sri.H.L. Girish RajeUrs||M.Sc. Engg.||Associate Professor|
|8.||Dr. K.S. Manjunath||Ph.D.||Professor|
|9.||Dr. P. NanjundaSwamy||Ph.D.||Professor|
|11.||Dr. M.P. Pradeep||Ph.D.||Assistant Professor|
|11.||Smt. S. Roopanjali||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|12.||Sri.H.P. Sharath||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|13.||Sri. Rahul||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|14.||Sri. H.M. Mahendra Kumar||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|15.||Sri Darshan M||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|16.||Miss Nagashruthi Shivakumar||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|17.||Sri. Monish Kumar K||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|18.||Miss. Kavya K.M||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|19.||Sri. Shivaprasad K N||M.Tech.||Assistant Professor|
|Ranganathan G||SSLC||SDA||9449391674 (M)|
|Naveen Kumar H.V.||Diploma in Commercial Practice; B.Com.||SDA||9481383671 (M) email@example.com|
|Veerappa Devaru||9th Standard||Attender||8088730710 (M)|
|Prabhu Swamy N.||SSLC, DCS||Instructor||9844406648 (M) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ramachandra Gadadar||Diploma in Civil Engineering||Instructor||9986916758 (M) email@example.com|
|Uma P.||Diploma in Civil Engineering||Instructor||8197728413 (M) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mahesh C.||SSLC; JOC||Asst. Instructor||9986228875 (M)|
|Manjegowda H.N.||B.A.||Mechanic||9880491390 (M)|
|Rangaswamy||SSLC||Lab Helper||9739622129 (M)|
|Shivanna V.||BA; General Diploma in Cooperation||Lab Helper||9980057914 (M)|
|Krishnamurthy N.S.||PUC||Lab Helper||9538792795 (M)|
|Gopalakrishna||PUC||Lab Helper||8971170472 (M)|
|Abhilash B.||ITI – Fitter||Lab Helper||9739421386 (M)|
|Girisha M.||ITI – Turner||Lab Helper||7406753451 (M)|
|Manjunatha Swamy M.||ITI – Fitter||Lab Helper||8453291498 (M)|
Curriculum & Timetable
• Dr. G.P. Chandradhara, has been awarded as the best Structural designer for the Residential Villa at Mysuru city by Ultratech and ACCE, Mysuru center for the year 2017.
• M. Tech. thesis prize and certificate was awarded for thesis titled “Compressive strength characteristics of self-compacting concrete filled HDPE tubes” submitted by Girdhar Gangadhara Jogin under the guidance of Dr. M.C. Nataraja in ACCE (I) – M. Tech. Thesis Award function organized by ACCE(I) Mysore Center, on 2nd December, 2017 at NIE, Mysuru.
• The M.Tech. thesis submitted by Sri. Giridhar Gangadhar Jogin titled “Compressive Strength Characteristics of Self Compacting Concrete Filled Hdpe Tubes” under the guidance of Dr. M.C. Nataraja has won jury appreciation by ICI-BC in a function held at NIMHANS Convention Centre, Bengaluru on 9th Oct., 2017
• Mr. Siddharth Prabhu N. and Mr. Deepak Kumar S. were felicitated by Builders Association of India, Mysore Centre for securing first two places in B.E. (Civil Engineering), 2016-17 on 25th Sept., 2017 in a function organised at Sri Guru Residency, Mysuru.
• M. Tech. dissertation titled ‘A study on influence of mix design parameters on the static and dynamic segregation indices of SCC using recent methodologies’ submitted by Mr. ANVIT GADKAR, USN: 4JC15CIS03 under the guidance of Dr. M.C. Nataraja has been awarded the ACCE(I) Sundaram Merit Award 2017, Instituted by Sundaram Architects Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore. The award was conferred on the student on Monday, 18th Sept., 2017 at award function held at NIMHANS Convention Centre, Hosur Road, Bengaluru.
• Mr. Rakshith Kumar K.S. 3rd Year B.E. (Civil Engineering) won Gold Medal in Kick Light event in the senior category of National Kick Boxing Championship held during 6th to 10th Sept., 2017 at Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
• Mr. Siddharth Prabhu N. and Mr. Deepak Kumar S. were felicitated by Civil 83 Team for being the topper in B.E. (Civil Engineering), 2016-17 on 9th Sept., 2017 in a function organised at SJCE, Mysuru.
• ‘CONCRETE FAIR-2017’, a national level technical symposium, organized by the Department of Civil Engineering, R.V. College of Engineering, Bengaluru – 59 in collaboration with Indian Concrete Institute, on 25th and 26th October, 2017.
• Ms. Spoorthi B.M., and Ms. Tejaswini K. (V Sem. B.E. (Civil Engg.)) won 1st prize in Conquer (Quiz).
• Mr. Madhusudhan and Ms. Arpitha H.M. (V Sem. B.E. (Civil Engg.)) won 2nd prize in Conquer (Quiz).
• Ms. Sumaiya C.H. (V Sem. B.E. (Civil Engg.)) won 1st prize in Contemplate (Extempore).
- Dr. G. Ravi, Principal, The National Institute of Engineering, Mysuru.
- Dr. G.K. Sharma, Director, Fiserve India Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru.
- Dr. M.K. Nagaraj, Formerly Professor, Associate Department of Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangaluru.
- Dr. Syed Shakeeb Ur Rahman, Formerly Principal, SJCE, Mysuru, Former EC Member, Dean, Member Academic Senate, VTU, Belagavi.
- Prof. Lakshman Nandagiri, Professor, Department of Applied Mechanics, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangaluru.
- Sri. Akhilesh Yadav, President of the Samajwadi Party, Former Chief Minister of UP.
- Sri. Arjun Kumar Karki, Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development, Government of Nepal.
- Sri. B.M. Jayeshankar, M.D., Adarsh Group of Developers, Bengaluru.
- Sri. Ganesh M. CE, PWD, Govt. of Karnataka, Bengaluru.
- Sri. Niranjan Babu, Managing Director, Accenture India.
- Sri. R Bhanu Prakash, Scientist – E / Director, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Sri. Ramaswamy R N, Professor, Faculty of Architecutre, Joint Director – Administration and Teaching, Manipal Institute of Technology.
- Sri. Ravikumar N.G., District Magistrate and Collector, Agra, UP.
- Sri. S. Prakash, Chairman, M/s Pramur Constructions, Mysuru.
- Sri. Senani Hegde, Freelance Wild Life Photographer and Writer, Mysuru.
- Sri. Varun Bhargava, EA to President & CFO, ArcelorMittal, United Kingdom.